The other day I was talking to a friend, and somehow the conversation landed on the subject of Softie icecreams. Immediately I was transported back in time in my mind - back oh, about 10- 15 years, when there used to be a special machine in a special cart on MG Road and Brigade road, with the cart-wallah selling softie icecreams. It used to be plain vanilla flavoured icecream that came out of a special contraption, and because of that, it used to be really soft and fluffy - hence the name. It used to be just a small quantity in a small cone. And it used to literally melt in the mouth. Memory has it (but I could be wrong) that the company that made it was Kwality Icecreams. And it was quite the rage, I remember. I remember many a time when friends and I would come out of a movie from Rex, or Galaxy or Plaza, and treat ourselves to a softie icecream.
I have not seen the little carts with the softie icecream makers on any of my recent trips back to Bangalore. In fact, I dont remember them being around for many years before I left Bangalore. Why did they disappear?
Those were simpler times, I now feel. Times when a simple vanilla softie icecream could be a big deal. Now, when I feel like an icecream, I have to first think about the calories, and how many gym sessions it will take to undo the damage, and then, if temptation gets the better of me, I have about three hundred different flavours and combinations to choose from. The cones come in different shapes and forms (bowl shaped, twisted, coated with chocolate, or flavoured syrups). Then there are toppings you can add to the icecream - like nuts, cookie pieces, chocolate pieces, coloured sprinklies, cherries, and so on and so forth. Then there are the different types of nuts (walnuts, hazel nuts, pecans, etc). Finally, there is the option of whipped cream, chocolate syrup, strawberry syrup, etc. It takes several minutes to go through all the options with the person putting the icecream together. For Goodness sake, I just want something simple.
Like maybe a vanilla softie icecream cone....
No comments:
Post a Comment