Tuesday, December 25, 2007

And then there was Light

I landed in Bangalore on the day of Deepavali. This was the first time I had timed my visit to co-incide with the festival since I left home a few years ago. Needless to say, there was an unbelievable amount of excitement both on my side as well as my family's. The flight landed in the wee hours of the morning, which lent well to the traditional "yenne shaastra" (or oil bath ritual), which is the customary early morning cleansing of the body on this most auspicious occasion.


Deepavali is arguably one of the most important Hindu festivals in India. For one, it is celebrated by all denominations of the Hindu religion and also throughout India (both North and South) at the same time. Interestingly - in Northern India, the return of Lord Rama from exile after defeating Ravana is the supposed cause for the jubilation, while in the South, it is Lord Krishna's vanquishing of the evil demon Narakasura that is the cause of celebration. The fact is that the whole country celebrates the festival, more or less. And in the merry-making which includes good food, sweets and fire-works (plenty of it), a lot of non-Hindus also participate.

In any case, I was totally looking forward to experiencing this festival at home. Mom had prepared the tastiest of sweets and food. Friends and relatives called to wish us. It is a time when people remember each other, I guess. And when evening time came, we did what we've always done for years. We lit little diyas (small earthen oil lamps) and placed them outside the main door of the house, and along the compound wall, etc. Other houses in the neighbourhood were doing the same, and it is such a beautiful sight, I tell you. It really is one of my personal favourite activities of the festival. The significance is even more beautiful - you want the lamps to light the way for luck, health and prosperity into your home. Light over darkness. Good over evil.

As usual, no fireworks for us. As little children, G and I decided that we are not going to "burn" money on firecrackers and also not contribute to the immense pollution that fireworks cause to the environment. That simply holds true this year as well.

What we did do, however, was climb up the stairs to the terrace, and then the additional ladder to the absolute top of the house. Even Mom made this somewhat precarious trip, and soon, the whole family was on the terrace with a pretty darned good view of the south of Bangalore. And what a sight it was! It was night now, and everyone was in true Deepavali mode. Soon enough, there were fireworks all over the place - rockets shooting upwards and then bursting into splashes of colour. Bombs exploding from all directions. Because we were at an elevation, we could see colourful fireworks in all directions. I think this is a very very indigenous experience. You have to be there to see how it looks, and feel how it feels. You cannot really explain to an outsider the scale on which this festival is celebrated.

Newer and more colourful rockets seem to have sprung up. I was told that some of them cost upwards of a couple of thousand rupees each! I cannot believe that so many people were paying so much for a couple of seconds of fun. Literally burning up money.

We spent a good deal of time there, catching the lights of the city, and talking, laughing, sharing jokes and stories. After that, it was a traditional Deepavali dinner. The fireworks continued through the rest of the night.

I know I will remember and cherish this Festival of Lights I spent with my family this year.

1 comment:

space and clarity said...

nice...you should write more