What a week I had last week. Monday & Tuesday were spent in a fire-drill at work. I have become way calmer during these things at work (or maybe way jaded after all these years!). Anyway, I have a great team, and usually pretty effective project management skills to get things done and figured out. Still stressful, though. Had signed up for a potluck lunch at work the week before, so there was no getting out of that now. Veggie puffs started getting made at 6 AM on Tuesday morning. Crazy. All of Tuesday was spent preparing for a really important presentation on Wednesday. Woke up at the crack of dawn on Wednesday to get on the bus to Richmond. Decided to take the bus instead of driving this time so that I could work for the 2 hour commute. Which meant getting out of the house an hour earlier while it was still dark. N and P were up and N gave me a forlorn look as I exited the door. He probably couldn't understand why Mamma was leaving so early, and without him. Hated myself in those few moments, even though I knew P was with him, and everything would be fine in a few minutes. Called home in ten minutes as I drove to the Woodbridge bus stop to check on him. P said he was doing just fine and jumping around like a monkey. I was relieved, and thanked P for being my saviour, yet again. My Richmond trips are completely crazy. Usually packed with back-to-back meetings, and this day I had to teach a class as well. In any case, the months of prep, all the work finally paid off. Thursday was a slightly relaxed day at work, so I caught up on a bunch of pending things. And Friday, well Friday was the highlight of my week. Went to N's daycare in the evening, had taken a few of N's favourite books along, and I read to his class. It was just pure delight. Every single minute that I spent sitting on the chair, with the kids sitting at my feet, as I read from the book, and showed them the pictures, and told them the story, I became a child again. They amazed me with their attention, their questions, their ability to keep up with the story. I revelled in their enthusiasm, their excitement, their innocence. They wanted more, even as I closed the last book. As for N, he was a little shy, but super excited that I was there. I could tell. Afterwards, I played with him and a few of his friends on the playground. As usual, when it was time to leave, I had to drag N back from there. I resolved to do this more often. Read to the little tykes, that is.
No comments:
Post a Comment