An Eater's Manifesto
~ By Michael Pollan
What a great read. I picked up this book that came recommended by someone whose reading habits I admire quite a bit, and whose recommendations have been pretty spot on. But I was honestly wondering how good this book could actually be. The title had me intrigued. It is a subject matter I am passionate about and feel strongly about. However, I was afraid there would be too much jargon in there. And also wondered what material could possibly keep a reader engrossed for 200 something pages. I was in for a surprise.
The theme of the book could not have been structured better, or organized more efficiently to drive home the salient points. These points themselves are very brief - Eat Food, Not too much. Mostly Plants. Makes complete sense, but the data that the author has gathered, and presented, the fashion in which the argument is made, is most compelling. Even if I was a mainstream follower of the Western diet, which I am not, thankfully. The author's big crib is about the concept of "nutritionism" and how the combined forces of the American food industry, over-zealous "food scientists" and the media have managed to create an extremely unhealthy population, prone to heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and other serious health issues, simply by feeding them what does not constitute actual food, over the course of a few decades.
The author argues that traditional diets are way healthier and more wholesome than western (aka American) diets. But we've always known that, haven't we? Or have we?
Even though I follow a lot of what the author prescribes, because, in the end, I do believe that we are what we eat, the material was still eye-opening on many occasions. Some facts were brand new, and I am really glad that I read them in this book. It has me thinking differently about certain things. Things that I will keep in mind the next time I am grocery shopping. For sure.
The author's ask - to be mindful of what the "experts" claim as nutrition, to be careful to identify real food from food like "substances" out there, to connect with our food, to rejoice in the act of making our own food, and enjoying it with our families....is not too far out there, I'd think. The issue is, how many of us, in our rushed, modern life-styles will actually do it? The bet is though, that the ones of us who do this mindfully, will stand a darned good chance of living a healthier, more energetic life..
Great book. Definitely recommend it. Anyone who is interested in the connection between what they eat and their health should read this. Will go after "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by the same author next..
~ By Michael Pollan
What a great read. I picked up this book that came recommended by someone whose reading habits I admire quite a bit, and whose recommendations have been pretty spot on. But I was honestly wondering how good this book could actually be. The title had me intrigued. It is a subject matter I am passionate about and feel strongly about. However, I was afraid there would be too much jargon in there. And also wondered what material could possibly keep a reader engrossed for 200 something pages. I was in for a surprise.
The theme of the book could not have been structured better, or organized more efficiently to drive home the salient points. These points themselves are very brief - Eat Food, Not too much. Mostly Plants. Makes complete sense, but the data that the author has gathered, and presented, the fashion in which the argument is made, is most compelling. Even if I was a mainstream follower of the Western diet, which I am not, thankfully. The author's big crib is about the concept of "nutritionism" and how the combined forces of the American food industry, over-zealous "food scientists" and the media have managed to create an extremely unhealthy population, prone to heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and other serious health issues, simply by feeding them what does not constitute actual food, over the course of a few decades.
The author argues that traditional diets are way healthier and more wholesome than western (aka American) diets. But we've always known that, haven't we? Or have we?
Even though I follow a lot of what the author prescribes, because, in the end, I do believe that we are what we eat, the material was still eye-opening on many occasions. Some facts were brand new, and I am really glad that I read them in this book. It has me thinking differently about certain things. Things that I will keep in mind the next time I am grocery shopping. For sure.
The author's ask - to be mindful of what the "experts" claim as nutrition, to be careful to identify real food from food like "substances" out there, to connect with our food, to rejoice in the act of making our own food, and enjoying it with our families....is not too far out there, I'd think. The issue is, how many of us, in our rushed, modern life-styles will actually do it? The bet is though, that the ones of us who do this mindfully, will stand a darned good chance of living a healthier, more energetic life..
Great book. Definitely recommend it. Anyone who is interested in the connection between what they eat and their health should read this. Will go after "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by the same author next..
No comments:
Post a Comment