Saturday, December 10, 2011

Of weekends with fambly followed by teeth extractions

Two weekends with G here.  How lucky were we!  N was thrilled of course.  Not sure who doted more on the other.  Was so awesome to see them both together.  The bond is so heart warming.  Both weekends were jam packed with a trip to the Reston Zoo, frisbee sessions, G teaching N to throw the ball into the basket, hit the ball with the cricket bat, and strum the guitar (all of which he picked up enthusiastically!), late night guitar and singing sessions, sightseeing in DC, trip to the indoor Ice exhibition on the waterfront location in Arlington (the ice sculptures were amazing, but it was so damn cold in there - minus twenty F!! that in spite of being bundled up, we were freezing, but that did not stop us, especially N from going down the ice slides again and again, my goodness!!  Finally when I had to drag him out of there because it was just too cold, he was protesting, despite tears rolling down his cheeks from the bite of the cold!!!).....

That was followed by a ridiculously hectic week at work, P traveling, me having to make a trip to Richmond in lousy weather...and finally teeth extractions on Friday.  Yes, you read that right.  I finally decided to just get those damn wisdom teeth removed.  My dentist will be most pleased.  I was so not happy at the prospect, but decided to brave it.  Better now than later when there would be more trouble with them, I rationalized.  However, knowing my tolerance for pain, I was really dreading it.  A few co-workers made it worse by claiming that they had had some really painful experiences with the same.  As I fretted with a friend, she was incredulous that I was dreading this when I had gone through child-birth.  She said I must be joking about being nervous about this, and that she would take teeth extraction any day!  Well, I guess I've heard it said that teeth extraction is only exceeded in pain quotient by child birth labour.  Not sure I would equate or even begin to put in the same league the experience of child birth with anything else, really, although I'm just glad that I was lucky enough to have access to pain medication in both cases. :-).  Yes, and so it was that I chose to be completely sedated (as in put to sleep) while a really kindly old man (the oral surgeon) pulled out four of my wisdom teeth.  No complications.  Took twenty minutes (about 1/36th the time it took me to birth my child - yep, you can do that math).  Now I am dealing with the healing, which is not too bad, really.  All things considered, I am coping rather well.  When I came back home and was in obvious pain, N asks me with a worried look on his face "Mamma do you want some Tylenol?"....oh, sweet, sweet child of mine...*heart overflowing with love*.....

No comments: