Thursday, September 27, 2012

Such a boy!

Obsessed with airplanes.  Its amazing to watch.  He's been to the Udvaar Hazy Air & Space museum here in Chantilly oh around 100 times in his 4 years and yet he would go there anytime, again and again.  Once there, its a common sight to see him stand in front of an airplane engine, mouth open, absorbing the way it moves, and works, wondering, putting it all together in his little brain.  Fascinating.  And at home, he has a score of planes, different shapes and sizes, and he'll play for hours on end with them.  Imagining them taking off in DC and landing in Bangalore (that's his favourite destination!).

Other obsessions include cars, and trucks, and motorcycles and trains (building the entire track set).  Planes are still the standing favourite.

Oh and of course - taking anything apart and putting it together.  P involves him in all such projects these days, and its really cute to see them together.  Little engineer in the making?

Such a boy.  I wonder is it because he doesn't have girly toys?  What would happen if I bought him a doll, I wonder.  How much of this is conditioning (even though I had at one time resolved not to bring him up with stereotypes)?

I recall an incident at daycare, that I will never forget.  This was when he was 2 years old.  In the class, you have a good mix of boys and girls and you have all sorts of toys.  Whenever I would drop and pick up N, I would see him play with all sorts of toys, but never with the dolls.  The girls on the other hand would be "mothering" the dolls - rocking them, putting them to sleep, putting a blanket on them and patting them gently, etc etc.  It was a really cute sight.  I'm sure N would observe and wonder what that was all about.  Well, one day, I guess he figured he would try it out for himself.  I walk in there one evening, and I see N "playing" with a doll.  I use the word "playing" extremely loosely here.  Because this is what I saw - N had procured a doll.  He then proceeded to throw it on the ground.  Then he snatched a blanket from the shelf.  He threw it on the doll, covering it completely - face and all.  And then, he kneels down, and starts whacking the doll hard.  I guess he thought he was doing what he saw the girls doing (patting their babies to sleep).  Only that instead of putting the doll to sleep, he was actually beating the life out of it.  What's more, he had a gleeful grin on his face while he was whacking away to glory, as if to say "See, I can do this too!!!".

As for me - I didn't know whether to laugh my insides out, or to feel sorry for the doll.  I decided to let him play with planes and cars for the moment!!  Gosh!

No comments: