Sunday, April 09, 2006

LA Vs. DC - Part I

Ok, you guessed it. It HAS to be about the weather.

I got out at Dulles, DC and expected a blizzard. I was wrong. No raging snowstorm, no bone-chilling winds. Days passed, temperatures were low, mind you...much lower than the sunny land I had left behind, but still, it was not the weather shock I had been warned about. Weeks pass, no snow, and I look questioningly about at the people who are the veterans of winter weather, these East_Coastans, and they look at me with a mixture of pity and sympathy and encouragement and say "You're so lucky, this has been SUCH a mild winter"....which I heard as many times as I heard "What-ever made you move from LA to DC??"..ah, yes, that million dollar question.

Well, that was January and February. Then came March. Then we had the snowstorm. Then there were the cold winds. Then there were the sub-zero temperatures. Spring? Think again, my friends. These were the times when I could so vividly picture in my mind warm, really warm, almost hot LA and Orange County, and wearing my shorts and T-shirt and flip-flops...walking on the warm sands of the beaches, the breeze in my face, the tan on my skin....and NOT shivering everytime I step out of the car, not having to run from the car into a building, and not have to layer up all the damn time.

Ok, I'm a drama queen...I know that. But really, is this fun? No, I dont think so. "Youre lucky", people said. "Such a mild winter, this..". Oh really? Great, I feel so lucky, I cant stop shivering.

Round One: Do I even need to spell it out? Its LA by a wide, wholloping shot.

No comments: