I woke up this morning to see a thin layer of white on the grass and the driveway and the roof tops. The first snow of the season. Well, the first time really was last Friday, but those were flurries. Really, really pretty.
The degree to which you feel cold and miserable is dependent on a number of factors, and has mostly nothing to do with the actual temperature. There's humidity. And there's wind. Oh, the wind. And it amazes me how my frame of reference has changed completely. I am a seasoned east-coaster now. Totally know how to deal with the winter now, after all these years. I know how to dress, and what to do.
Dont get me wrong - it can get pretty miserable at times. Especially if those winds are blowing. However, that is not at all all the time. In a really different way, this winter is actually quite beautiful. The first snows are amazing. The chill in the air can be cleansing.
Many times, in the next few months, all I will want to do is huddle indoors, under a razai probably and drink some hot chai. But there will also be many times, when I will go outside, and take deep breaths of the cold air, feel that crazy invigoration, maybe step through some soft white snow, pull that thick jacket closer around me, and trod on....
2 comments:
I can make you some adrak chai:-) Good to see you writing again. As Simon and Garfunkel say- Enjoy the hazy shade of winter:-d
Adrak chai sounds awesome. Good to be back, I say!
Post a Comment