Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Of old friends...and old, old songs

Hearing from that friend from ages ago...what a refreshing way to start the new year.  Looking forward to the conversations.  Sometimes, making a little bit of time is so worth it.

On another note (no pun intended), I was driving back home yesterday with N, and out of the blue, I started to sing that old old Bengali song...."Dhithom Dhithom"....at first, the words completely eluded me....its been what? 15 years?  My God!!! And what a history that song has....prize-winning and heart-warming, and a hundred other things.....those days, all of us, forgotten friendships, competitive spirits and putting your heart and your soul into something that you believed in, and wanted to be the best at!!  And we were...oh, how we were...

Anyway, as I was saying....I started to sing....and faltered.  The words seem hazy, but I totally remember the tune of the lovely song....and as I struggled with the first few words, suddenly they came back to me....and suddenly, there I was...belting the beautiful words out loud!!  The melody became clearer and louder and there I was, singing away to my heart's content.....and I looked back to see N staring with mouth open...what was Mamma doing....haven't heard this one before?  And as I finished, N starts to clap, and looks all happy and amused!  Perfect end to a perfect memory.

I am amazed that I remembered all the words.  Exactly as I had learnt them all those many years ago.  Sweet memories of that sweet girl....Thank you Baisali....

3 comments:

Chatter Box said...

Wow! It so often happens to me. Dhitam Dhitam bole. Ae re aa is how it ended. You bet! Being in KV we also learned songs from each language and they were a lot of fun!

Mystic said...

Yes, that's the one exactly!! Lovely, lovely song!

Mamma mia! Me a mamma? said...

OMG Greeshma!

I am so, so touched by this beautiful note! Thank you, my dear, for remembering me this way...

Barton house memories make up some of my most cherished memories of school -- thanks to you wonderful girls!

Big hugs!