Tuesday, August 09, 2011

name change

Apologize in advance for the name change.  I'm hoping you have reached out to me by now and I have told you what the renamed version of this space is.  And hopefully you will continue to be an audience.

Been wanting to do that for a while now.  Changing the name, that is.  And this phrase has always been one of my favourites.  Heard it when I was a kid, and I remember wondering what it meant.

"If ifs and buts were pots and pans....there'd be no need for tinkers."  How awesome is that!!

Another version I read recently:  If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a very merry Christmas.  That sounds more American, but I like the first one better.  Very British sounding.  Love it.

I remember smiling and joking with someone at the time about the meaning of the proverb and how funny and cute at the same time it sounded.  And now, so many years later, I think how appropriate it is to our continued propensity in life to think how else something could be or should be, because our current reality is something different, and how pointless it is anyway....because if you really want to and have to change your current reality, then go change it!  And stop pontificating about tinkers...:-).  Or, to rephrase the American version: if all the reasons we come up with for why we can't do something were party foods instead of words, we could have a really great party.

Absolutely love it.  Cannot think of a better name for this page.  And yes, it rolls off the tongue oh, so nicely. :-)

No comments: