Wednesday, August 03, 2011

wise words from a smart kid

There's always going to be someone who makes more money than you, who's better at basketball than you, or who climbs the corporate ladder faster than you.  There's only so much you should choose to stress about these things.  Each of us has our unique place in the Universe to do what we are meant to do.  We should choose to make our peace with that, and choose to find happiness in the things that we do have and the things that surround us.  Right? :-)

So said GF to me today, the really smart guy I hired a few months ago, the kid who has proven himself in the short span of time he's been on the team, with his nerdiness, geekiness, soft-spokenness and amazing ability to grasp new stuff and get right down to business.  The guy I'm going to promote in a few months, even though he doesn't know it yet.  Yes, he has youth on his side to support all his general optimism.  But he also has a wisdom I'm discovering, and a propensity to be positive about everything.  I learn something from every conversation.  Definitely one of the upsides of my job.

No comments: