Saturday, August 13, 2011

out on a farm again

Raspberry picking this time at Wegmeyer farms in one of the most picturesque parts of Virginia.  N had a blast again (he had been told we were doing this and was waiting for days), and I am happy that he sees that fruit comes from plants growing from the soil and not from the grocery store.  He braved little thorns on the bushes and picked two pints of raspberries which I was forced to buy.  Now I have to figure out what to do with them all.  Maybe its cobbler time again.  They are really quite good raspberries.  You can taste the freshness that you simply don't get when you buy from the store.

It was seriously so peaceful there on the farms.  It had just drizzled, and the sun was playing peekaboo from behind the clouds.  The lushness and greenery filled me with a sense of calmness that I desperately needed.  There were hardly any crowds, maybe we were nice and early.  The Gold Heart Sisters, a sweet little band of four sisters and one token brother were actually playing their music under a little tent.  How delightful.  Of course, N got treated to a raspberry sundae and we sat of benches of haystacks and listened to the very nice music while enjoying the sundae.  Once N was done, he and a few other kids began dancing to the music and every time they finished a song, he would run up to them and clap and clap, much to their amusement.  He's turning into a real crowd pleaser.  Back home now, and I am scouting the Internet for things to make using raspberries...


No comments: