~ Gary Shteyngart
Overall I enjoyed this book. As I picked it up and started reading, I realized this was a fiction after what has been a spate of non-fiction reads for me in the recent past. Somewhat curious then, that this should be the fiction read that I happen to pick up. But never mind that, as I started enjoying what seemed to be a different story line and premise. The story is set in the future, where society and social media have morphed exponentially from what we know them to be today. America is facing unprecedented decline. Predictable, China is the new super power, etc. etc. The interesting thing is that human beings (especially the protagonist in the tale) are still human at every level, and things like falling in love are still poignant and human and emotional and touching. The story moved along forward putting me the reader at ease with the futuristic concepts because tying everything together was the human factor, etc. I found the concept of life extension, or striving to live forever, amusing and slightly disconcerting at the same time. Illustrated well, I must say. I was curious and interested in seeing how everything would be tied together in the end.
Alas, the end however, disappointed. The story had every potential for making the conclusion really stick in the reader's mind. However, everything became so predictable towards the last couple of chapters. I wonder what happens with these authors who have a good thing going, the story has all the potential to be great, the build up is terrific, and then poof - deflation. What is it? How can the imagination just run out of steam when it matters? Don't get it.
I have to say that its still a different kind of story. I enjoyed the glimpse of a potential future for human-kind. I like the humour, and the human-ness of the characters. I enjoyed the illustration of the concept of extending human life. I actually liked the language - even though it was on the edge often. I liked the emotions the lead character describes. I just didn't like the end of story.
Overall I enjoyed this book. As I picked it up and started reading, I realized this was a fiction after what has been a spate of non-fiction reads for me in the recent past. Somewhat curious then, that this should be the fiction read that I happen to pick up. But never mind that, as I started enjoying what seemed to be a different story line and premise. The story is set in the future, where society and social media have morphed exponentially from what we know them to be today. America is facing unprecedented decline. Predictable, China is the new super power, etc. etc. The interesting thing is that human beings (especially the protagonist in the tale) are still human at every level, and things like falling in love are still poignant and human and emotional and touching. The story moved along forward putting me the reader at ease with the futuristic concepts because tying everything together was the human factor, etc. I found the concept of life extension, or striving to live forever, amusing and slightly disconcerting at the same time. Illustrated well, I must say. I was curious and interested in seeing how everything would be tied together in the end.
Alas, the end however, disappointed. The story had every potential for making the conclusion really stick in the reader's mind. However, everything became so predictable towards the last couple of chapters. I wonder what happens with these authors who have a good thing going, the story has all the potential to be great, the build up is terrific, and then poof - deflation. What is it? How can the imagination just run out of steam when it matters? Don't get it.
I have to say that its still a different kind of story. I enjoyed the glimpse of a potential future for human-kind. I like the humour, and the human-ness of the characters. I enjoyed the illustration of the concept of extending human life. I actually liked the language - even though it was on the edge often. I liked the emotions the lead character describes. I just didn't like the end of story.
No comments:
Post a Comment