Wednesday, November 02, 2011

trick or treat!

My usual OCD behaviour preceded me in getting the perfect (in my opinion), even though last minute costume for N.  He was to be a triceratops. :)  Unbelievably cute costume with feet covers for the shoes as well.  All went well until I showed it to N and the minute he wrinkled his nose and shook his head, I knew I would have a battle on my hands.  No matter, I told myself.  When it came time to go outside with the other kids and trick or treat, he would get excited and oblige.  I was wrong.  We put out our pumpkin, and set out the basket of candy.  He didn't budge.  No amount of candy promises would make him relent.  He wanted to go out in his pajamas.  Finally, I looked at P with "that" look that we often exchange when we know what needs to be done without spelling it out.  P lifted N, and I forced the costume over his head.  N struggles.  P manages to hold on, and I manage within all the struggling to get N's arms and legs in the right place.  Body suit done.  N is yelling by now "I don't want! I don't want!".  Next was the hat's turn.  More struggling.  Somehow manage to slip it on and around his face and fastened it from the back.  Now N's face peeks out of a little mask with horns.  Adorable!  Finally his shoes and the feet covers with big claws over the shoes.  By this time, the protest is much, much louder.  Fake tears threaten to make their way out, if I didn't take the damn thing off.  But Mom's resolve was not to be shaken.  Out came the Elmo basket and next thing, we're out of the door, P tagging along with the camera.  It's dark outside and spooky decorations adorn the neighbourhood houses.  At this point, N's whining stops, and curiosity gets the better of him.  Off he trots to Roger's (next door neighbour) house to check out the eerie looking pumpkin with the candle glowing from inside.  His spiny dinosaur tail wags confidently behind him.  His clawy triceratops feet have turned backwards and lend an appropriately scary effect.  He is cuteness personified.  He grabs a piece of candy from the bowl by the door, and per my instruction, dunks it gleefully into Elmo.  From that point, there was no stopping my little reptile from the ancient world.  He was off running from house to house, now joined by a bunch of kids around the block in varying imaginative costumes.  "trick or treat!!!" they yelled at doors.  ooohs and aaahs greeted them everywhere.  They collected candy like nobody's business.  And they screamed with joy and fright when scary lights and effects ensued from elaborate Halloween decorations.  N was the ultimate dino.  He roared on demand.  For all the fuss he had created while I forced him into his garb, he managed to have a grand evening, and didn't want to come back home!!  One of my favorite customs from around here.  Looking forward to next year.

No comments: