Thursday, December 22, 2011

Winter's Bone

Watched this movie, even though I was reluctant.  I'm probably going through a phase where I just don't want to watch/read this genre.  I knew it would be depressing.  It was, although there are some powerful moments in the story and script that are uplifting if you get past the sadness.  Anyway, the story is about a really poor family in West Virginia, and a seventeen year old girl caring for her sick mom and little brother and sister, while trying to desperately find her druggie father who, if she cannot find in a week, will result in them losing their house.  The lead character is played very well by Jennifer Lawrence and I believe the movie also bagged several academy award nominations.  I guess its a fairly critically acclaimed movie.  Overall, pretty decent story line although it felt a little slow-moving at times.  The most powerful moment for me in the movie is when, despite being so strong and determined to not let the desperation of the situation get to her, the girl sits with her mentally ill mother and begs her to tell her what to do, just this one time.  Very powerful. 

No comments: