3 weeks of vacation somehow meant zero exercise (if tons and tons of walking doesn't count as exercise that is), thanks to the completely haywire schedule and travelling involved. Add to that the fact that I ate way more than I probably should have, and was close to being pretty decently exhausted from the hectic schedule overall plus jet lag when we landed back in DC, meant that I was most dis-inclined to hit the gym to resume the really awesome exercise schedule I had developed before I boarded the first flight out of DC to London 3 weeks earlier. Needless to say, I was most annoyed. I felt that 3 weeks had somehow slipped me back to levels much below what I had achieved with hard work and grit before I left. Sigggghhhhh. But vacations are like that. The best of intentions are thwarted. Also, sheer laziness takes over. And excess good food.
Anyway, so there I was, a day or so back into my routine here, when it took a ginormous deal of discipline to go to the gym again. I made a game plan. I cleared & blocked my calendar during every lunch hour of every day for 2 weeks. I made sure I took my gym bag with me when I headed to work every day. And I hit the gym everyday. And God, was it painful. The first week I was in pain the whole time. But, no pain, no gain, I assured myself. I willed myself to keep up with it. Have to admit - it took a lot of discipline and determination. And now, 3 weeks later, I am happy to report that I'm back. Power yoga doesn't hurt any more. Cardio class is still hard, but I am not close to collapsing at the end of it. Every day, I see myself getting just a little bit stronger. Hooray for will-power, I say. Vacations, I can beat you.
Anyway, so there I was, a day or so back into my routine here, when it took a ginormous deal of discipline to go to the gym again. I made a game plan. I cleared & blocked my calendar during every lunch hour of every day for 2 weeks. I made sure I took my gym bag with me when I headed to work every day. And I hit the gym everyday. And God, was it painful. The first week I was in pain the whole time. But, no pain, no gain, I assured myself. I willed myself to keep up with it. Have to admit - it took a lot of discipline and determination. And now, 3 weeks later, I am happy to report that I'm back. Power yoga doesn't hurt any more. Cardio class is still hard, but I am not close to collapsing at the end of it. Every day, I see myself getting just a little bit stronger. Hooray for will-power, I say. Vacations, I can beat you.
No comments:
Post a Comment