Thursday, May 10, 2012

Thanneer Bhaavi & other doses of scenic inspiration

This was a trip made up of multiple trysts with the ocean.  After SL, it was on to Mangalore.  I have been visiting Mangalore all my life.  On average I go every year.  I hail from there, and although I never grew up there (Bangalore is still what I call home), I have always been very possessive about my Manglorean roots.  I always maintained, and still do, that we the people from coastal Karnataka have a unique culture all our very own, that I'm so proud of.  We eat different food, we speak a different Kannada, and we have very different and culturally evolved customs, attitudes, and approaches to life in general.  For those interested, I'd be happy to give detailed examples.

So anyway - like I said, I've been to Mangalore countless times, and I usually love going there.  Visiting family (usually the main reason) is always fun.  However, I also just love the look and feel of the place.  Palm trees, sloping roofs, narrow roads that lead to paddy fields, and of course the ocean.  Salt in the air.  I always take a dip, I always walk on the beach.  I try to catch a sunset.  I let the warm salty breeze engulf me. 

I've seen so many beaches in the Mangalore/Udupi area - Panambur, Ullal, Surathkal (always a favourite), Kapu, Murudeshwar (a classic beauty), Someshwar (another gorgeous one), and Malpe (where I've spent many a summer goofing off with cousins in the ocean for hours on end.  Gosh, those fun times!).

This time we discovered a new one - Thanner Bhaavi.  And let me tell you - it was divine.  Pristine beach, and beautiful scenery.  There was even a life guard (yes, its true!).  N of course went berserk in the water and it was hard to restrain him, and I was getting paranoid because the waves were coming in pretty strongly and there was a definite current pulling anything ocean-wards (recall G and I desperately trying to swim our way back to the shore when currents in Bentota started to drag us far into sea...gosh!).

Anyway, caught a beautiful sunset, before which all of us spent time sitting on the sand, chatting, enjoying the breeze.  N insisted on going back again the next day.  Which he did.

So, highly recommend this beach, and others to experience the Arabian Sea and coastal Karnataka at their very best.   

No comments: