~Aravind Adiga
Having thoroughly enjoyed his block-buster "White Tiger", I had reasonable expectations for this one. It is always the case. So rarely does a second, third book of a debut winner measure up. I headed into the book with an open mind. Give it a try, I assured myself.
Well, here is what I have to say. I cannot, in the recent past that I can recall, ever finished a book in one sitting. Not even the White Tiger. That's how good I found this book. Adiga's writing style is just great.
Now, having said that, I was disappointed by the way the book ended. I cannot tell you just how disappointed. It had SUCH potential. I think the reason the whole planet is not talking about this book is because of the way it ended. I mean, c'mon, Mr. Adiga, surely you must have had alternate endings in consideration? I would love to see them, to see what made you choose to end your super strong story in this manner.
I am not going to give any spoiler alerts here, because I sincerely still think the book is worth reading, despite the end. I just wanted more in the end. The build up was there. The plot was certainly there. The characters had all come to life in my mind. I was waiting for the encounters. I was waiting for the suspense to end with a bang. And in the end, there was poof - nothing. Just a brief and un-fulfilling update to an ending episode that the entire story built up to. Disappointing, to say the least.
But still, a very good book. I will give Adiga another try. But next time would probably be his last chance with me.
Having thoroughly enjoyed his block-buster "White Tiger", I had reasonable expectations for this one. It is always the case. So rarely does a second, third book of a debut winner measure up. I headed into the book with an open mind. Give it a try, I assured myself.
Well, here is what I have to say. I cannot, in the recent past that I can recall, ever finished a book in one sitting. Not even the White Tiger. That's how good I found this book. Adiga's writing style is just great.
Now, having said that, I was disappointed by the way the book ended. I cannot tell you just how disappointed. It had SUCH potential. I think the reason the whole planet is not talking about this book is because of the way it ended. I mean, c'mon, Mr. Adiga, surely you must have had alternate endings in consideration? I would love to see them, to see what made you choose to end your super strong story in this manner.
I am not going to give any spoiler alerts here, because I sincerely still think the book is worth reading, despite the end. I just wanted more in the end. The build up was there. The plot was certainly there. The characters had all come to life in my mind. I was waiting for the encounters. I was waiting for the suspense to end with a bang. And in the end, there was poof - nothing. Just a brief and un-fulfilling update to an ending episode that the entire story built up to. Disappointing, to say the least.
But still, a very good book. I will give Adiga another try. But next time would probably be his last chance with me.
No comments:
Post a Comment